KQRadio.com • KQWC • Monday, July 28, 2014 Weather: Fair N/AF FacebookRSS
Local News
Webster City CROP Walk set for Sunday,October 13!
Posted: Oct 03 2013 by ppowers

 We in Webster City have big hearts when it comes to helping folks who are hungry – locally, as well as around the world. Here’s an opportunity to share generously and to have a good time. On Sunday, October 13, gather at the Brewer Creek shelter on Des Moines Street at 2 p.m. for the CROP Hunger Walk.

          CROP Hunger Walk roots are deep in the Webster City, going back to the 1960s, when the program was launched nationally. When CROP began, the name stood for Christian Rural Overseas Program. Now it means Communities Responding to Overcome Poverty. Many people in the world daily trudge nearly 2 miles to get safe drinking water.

          After songs led by Don Bruner and a blessing from Rev. Craig Blaufuss, First Congregational United Church of Christ, we’ll head out for a walk of about 2 miles – no streets to cross. The route goes around the Brewer Creek Park, Graceland Cemetery and former hospital area, along Ohio, Des Moines and Beach streets. Refreshments will be available for participants after the walk.

          The churches of the Ministerial Association have been invited to participate: Asbury United Methodist, Church of Christ, Faith United Methodist, First Baptist, First Congregational UCC, Good Shepherd Episcopal, St. Paul Lutheran, St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic and Trinity Lutheran. However, rest assured that everyone in the community is welcome to participate.

          Churches and individuals can raise money for CROP ahead of the walk. A full 25 percent of the money collected will be donated to Upper Des Moines Opportunity in Webster City. The other 75 percent will go to international programs through Church World Service to help families – particularly small children – who don’t know where their next meal will come from. Bring the money to the Brewer Creek shelter on October 13. Myra Maxon is the treasurer for the CROP Hunger Walk and will be at the shelter to accept your donations. You also can donate to the CROP Hunger Walk at www.cropwalkonline.org.

          There’s no registration fee for the CROP Hunger Walk, but each walker is encouraged to bring a jar of peanut butter to the starting point. The peanut butter will go to UDMO’s food pantry.

          If you have any questions about the CROP Hunger Walk, please call Rev. Blaufuss at 832-2232. 

 

 We in Webster City have big hearts when it comes to helping folks who are hungry – locally, as well as around the world. Here’s an opportunity to share generously and to have a good time. On Sunday, October 13, gather at the Brewer Creek shelter on Des Moines Street at 2 p.m. for the CROP Hunger Walk.

          CROP Hunger Walk roots are deep in the Webster City, going back to the 1960s, when the program was launched nationally. When CROP began, the name stood for Christian Rural Overseas Program. Now it means Communities Responding to Overcome Poverty. Many people in the world daily trudge nearly 2 miles to get safe drinking water.

          After songs led by Don Bruner and a blessing from Rev. Craig Blaufuss, First Congregational United Church of Christ, we’ll head out for a walk of about 2 miles – no streets to cross. The route goes around the Brewer Creek Park, Graceland Cemetery and former hospital area, along Ohio, Des Moines and Beach streets. Refreshments will be available for participants after the walk.

          The churches of the Ministerial Association have been invited to participate: Asbury United Methodist, Church of Christ, Faith United Methodist, First Baptist, First Congregational UCC, Good Shepherd Episcopal, St. Paul Lutheran, St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic and Trinity Lutheran. However, rest assured that everyone in the community is welcome to participate.

          Churches and individuals can raise money for CROP ahead of the walk. A full 25 percent of the money collected will be donated to Upper Des Moines Opportunity in Webster City. The other 75 percent will go to international programs through Church World Service to help families – particularly small children – who don’t know where their next meal will come from. Bring the money to the Brewer Creek shelter on October 13. Myra Maxon is the treasurer for the CROP Hunger Walk and will be at the shelter to accept your donations. You also can donate to the CROP Hunger Walk at www.cropwalkonline.org.

          There’s no registration fee for the CROP Hunger Walk, but each walker is encouraged to bring a jar of peanut butter to the starting point. The peanut butter will go to UDMO’s food pantry.

          If you have any questions about the CROP Hunger Walk, please call Rev. Blaufuss at 832-2232. 

 

Back

Latest News Headlines
Current Conditions

Fair

N/AF
Full Forecast